At Gnoll Primary, we are proud of the support that we offer for learners with Additional Learning Needs. All learners within the school are supported well and we have positive working relationships with learners and their families as well as other individuals and organisations that work with the young person. The support, guidance and interventions that we offer are tailored to meet the needs of each learner individually and this support is monitored and adapted in a pupil-centred way.
Additional Learning Needs legislation in Wales is changing. This is known as the Additional Learning Needs and Education Tribunal (Wales) Reform. At Gnoll Primary, we are working hard to prepare for these changes and are looking forward to the additional support that this will bring.
The law is changing for several reasons:
- The child or young person’s needs might be found too late
- The support might be provided to the young person too late
- The young person and their parents/carers might not be involved enough in planning
- The current system can be complicated to understand
- The law only currently covers children and young people up to the age of 19
The new legislation for ALN will bring about several main changes.
- It brings together all current systems into a new, single system for ALN
- It is pupil-centred, where young people and their parents are completely involved in decision making
- It provides learners with the same type of statutory plan (Individual Development Plan or IDP), irrespective of age or setting
- It improves transition between settings
- It allows further Welsh language provision
- It is a fair and transparent system.
Supporting information is available for parents and learners to explain the changes that will come into place. Below, you will find links to help sheets and further information about how the changes will affect learners and their families. However, if you require any further information about the changes, you can contact us at school and ask to speak to the Additional Learning Needs Coordinator.
The new Inclusion Service website is now live and can be accessed via the following link https://www.npt.gov.uk/pupilinclusion