Welcome to Year 5/6 LC Class page. Please explore this page to find out information about our class, our learning, our Blog and learning log.
Teacher: Miss L. Carney
Teaching Assistant: Mrs T. Gibson
Our Learning this term is:
This term’s overall theme is ‘Lights, Camera, Action!’ with a focus on play scripts and elements of a production.
- Science – Water Life – a study based on plants and animals found in two contrasting environments, with a focus on food chains and how humans can damage these environments.
- English- We will continue to use the animation of ‘Peter & the Wolf’ to write a story, and will also write an explanation text. Pupils will also read and perform play scripts. This in addition to ongoing: handwriting, spelling, guided reading, shared reading and shared writing.
- We will continue our Geography & ICT Big Questions based on ‘How does Wales compare to Lesotho in Africa?’ and will be based on using geographical skills to compare the two countries and using word processing and database skills to display our comparisons.
- Our English, Drama, Art & DT Big Question will be based on ‘What is needed for a successful production?’, this will consist of pupils reading and performing playscripts, calculating production costs and creating props for our Leavers’ concert.
- Our music study will consist of performing skills using ukuleles as the chosen instrument. This term we continue to be fortunate enough for the pupils to be taught these skills by a specialist music teacher.
- In Welsh pupils will focus on . This is ongoing to the daily ‘drillio’ and ‘amser iath’ sessions.
P.E. – PE will now take place on a Monday afternoon each week. It will consist of rounders and athletics. Your child will require shorts, t-shirt and trainers, as we will be outside whenever possible. A note is required if your child is unable to take part. This is an essential part of the national curriculum; your support is much appreciated to ensure kit is in school when needed.
Homework – your child will have homework weekly. It will be given out on Friday and should be handed in on Wednesday the following week. It will consist of a learning log based on the previous week’s work, a spelling list and also a Talk Topic. Please could you spend time to help your child learn their spellings as they will be practising them with their ‘spelling buddies’ on the following Monday, and also discuss their weekly Talk Topic to help them with their Talk Topic discussion in class. Please ensure learning log is in on time so that work can be marked and returned to your child in time for Friday.
National Reading & Numeracy Tests– The tests will take place between Tuesday 2nd – Tuesday 11th May. It is very important that you child sits the tests, please inform class teacher or Mr Harris if your child will not be attending school on any day during the test week, as alternative test arrangements can be made.
Hit the Surf –This year we have been fortunate enough to secure a lifesaving and surfing workshop with the RNLI. The visit will take place at Aberavon Beach, with a morning and afternoon session booked for Wednesday 17th May. This has been a hugely popular trip previously, and all pupils have thoroughly enjoyed. Please could you ensure the trip consent form is sent in by Friday 5th May.