Welcome to Year 6 NB Class page. Please explore this page to find out information about our class, our learning, our Blog and learning log.
Teacher: Miss N. Blackman
Teaching Assistant: Mrs B. Williams
Dear Parent/ Carer,
I hope you and your family had a lovely Summer break. The following is a list of some of the activities that pupils will take part in this term.
This term’s overall theme is ‘World war 2’, based upon a study of Anne Frank and a focus on transport during world war 2.
- English- We will use ‘Anne Frank’s biography’ as a focus for writing and will write an autobiography and discussion based on the text. We will also be using the text to focus on poetry. This is in addition to ongoing: daily handwriting, daily spelling, daily guided reading carousel, daily shared reading and shared writing.
- Our Science & ICT Big Question will be based on researching, designing and creating a game using Scratch. It will have a focus on three main areas: anti-bullying, sound pollution and road safety.
- Our History Big Question will be based on transport during World War Two.
- Our ICT work will include word-processing, creating spreadsheets and databases, coding and internet safety using HWB, iPads and Macbooks.
- Our music and drama study will consist of singing and composing music. This year we continue to be fortunate enough for the pupils to be taught these skills by a specialist music and drama teacher.
- In Welsh pupils will write a personal profile/autobiography. This is ongoing to the daily ‘drillio’ and ‘amser iaith’ sessions.
P.E. – PE will take place on a Tuesday afternoon, and will consist of netball skills during the first half term, and dance during the second half term. Your child will require shorts, t-shirts and trainers for games, as this will be taking place outside whenever possible, with tracksuit bottoms required after half term. A note is required if your child is unable to take part. This is a vital part of the national curriculum; your support is much appreciated to ensure kit is in school when needed.
Swimming – Children will be swimming each afternoon during …………………at Neath Leisure Centre.
Homework – your child will have homework weekly. It will be given out on Friday and should be handed in on Wednesday the following week. It will consist of a learning log based on the previous week’s work, a spelling list and also a Talk Topic. Please could you spend time to help your child learn their spellings as they will be practising them with their ‘spelling buddies’ on the following Monday, and also discuss their weekly Talk Topic to help them with their Talk Topic discussion in class. Please ensure learning log is in on time so that work can be marked and returned to your child in time for Friday.
Year 6 class teacher
Useful websites: ….