Welcome to year 5 class page.
Please explore this page to find out information about our class, our learning, our Blog and learning log.
Teacher: Mrs Fielding
Teaching Assistant: Mrs R. Hurst
PE Days: Tuesday afternoon each week.
Your child will require shorts, t-shirt and trainers. We will be carrying out PE lessons outside whenever possible. A note is required if your child is unable to take part. This is an essential part of the national curriculum; your support is much appreciated to ensure kit is in school when needed.
Our theme this term is ‘Young Apprentice’. Pupils have had an opportunity to discuss the theme with their classmates and teacher and together we have come up with the following ideas:
- Language, literacy and communication (English)- We will focus on non-chronological reports, persuasive techniques, procedure and research. This is in addition to ongoing: daily handwriting, daily spelling, daily guided reading carousel, daily shared reading and shared writing.
- Mathematics and Numeracy- Children will be learning how to calculate using all four methods, including money. Reading and interpreting data. Looking at scale and ratio and measuring length, weight and measure.
- Science and Technology- This term will be based on ‘Forces’ where we will be carrying out numerous fair test enquiries.
- Language, literacy and communication (Welsh)- This term we will be exploring first and third person descriptions and giving opinions.
- Humanities- The children will be exploring timelines, carrying our historical enquiries and developing their historical knowledge and understanding. They will be locating places using maps and atlases and identifying spatial patterns.
- Health and Wellbeing- PE will take place on a Tuesday afternoon. Your child will require shorts, t-shirts and trainers for each session. A note is required if your child is unable to take part. This is a vital part of the national curriculum; your support is much appreciated to ensure kit is in school when needed. Children will be taking part in swimming sessions (dates to be confirmed), team games and dance alongside developing their mindfulness, perseverance and learning about healthy foods and drinks.
- Expressive Arts- Children will be exploring Pop Art and Logos, describing, investigating and comparing their own and others’ work. They will create a jingle, having opportunities to dance, sing, play an instrument and compose their own music.
Homework – your child will have homework weekly. It will be given out on Friday and should be handed in on Wednesday the following week. It will consist of a learning log based on the previous week’s work, a spelling list. Please could you spend time to help your child learn their spellings as they will be practising them with their ‘spelling buddies’ on the following Wednesday. Please ensure learning log is in on time so that work can be marked and returned to your child in time for Friday.
Year 5 Maths Calculation Mats: