Welcome to year 5 class page. Please explore this page to find out information about our class, our learning, our Blog and learning log.
Teacher: Mrs Fielding
Teaching Assistant: Mrs R. Hurst
PE Days: Tuesday afternoon each week. It will consist of rounders and athletics. Your child will require shorts, t-shirt and trainers, as we will be outside whenever possible. A note is required if your child is unable to take part. This is an essential part of the national curriculum; your support is much appreciated to ensure kit is in school when needed.
Please make sure that you have appropriate kit for the PE days (shorts, T-shirts and also tracksuits and trainers for the Autumn and Winter months as it does get cold)
Our Learning this term is:
I hope you and your family had a lovely Spring break. The following is a list of some of the activities that pupils will take part in during the Summer Term 2017.
This term’s overall theme is ‘Lights, Camera, Action!’, with a focus on play scripts and elements of a production.
- Science – Water Life – a study based on plants and animals found in two contrasting environments, with a focus on food chains and how humans can damage these environments.
- English- We will continue to use the animation of ‘Peter & the Wolf’ to write a story, and will also write an explanation text. Pupils will also read and perform play scripts. This in addition to ongoing: handwriting, spelling, guided reading, shared reading and shared writing.
- We will continue our Geography & ICT Big Questions based on ‘How does Wales compare to Lesotho in Africa?’ and will be based on using geographical skills to compare the two countries and using word processing and database skills to display our comparisons.
- Our English, Drama, Art & DT Big Question will be based on ‘What is needed for a successful production?’, this will consist of pupils reading and performing play scripts, calculating production costs and creating props for our Leavers’ concert.
- Our music study will consist of performing skills using ukuleles as the chosen instrument. This term we continue to be fortunate enough for the pupils to be taught these skills by a specialist music teacher.
- In Welsh pupils will focus on . This is ongoing to the daily ‘drillio’ and ‘amser iath’ sessions.
Homework – your child will have homework weekly. It will be given out on Friday and should be handed in on Wednesday the following week. It will consist of a learning log based on the previous week’s work, a spelling list and also a Talk Topic. Please could you spend time to help your child learn their spellings as they will be practising them with their ‘spelling buddies’ on the following Wednesday, and also discuss their weekly Talk Topic to help them with their Talk Topic discussion in class. Please ensure learning log is in on time so that work can be marked and returned to your child in time for Friday.
National Reading & Numeracy Tests– The tests will take place between Tuesday 2nd – Tuesday 11th May. It is very important that you child sits the tests, please inform class teacher or Mr Harris if your child will not be attending school on any day during the test week, as alternative test arrangements can be made.
Llanelli Wildfowl and Wetlands Centre- To support your child’s learning in science an educational trip to this centre has been arranged. In the morning the lesson will be led by an expert from the centre and in the afternoon your child will have the opportunity to observe the wildlife in their natural habitiats.
Our Blog: I really enjoyed English because it was Peter and the Wolf. I also enjoyed doing our aeroplane investigation because I got to write down the results and afterwards we got to fly our aeroplanes outside. Lily-Mae
I enjoyed football and swimming because it was so fun.Tyler blackmore.
Learning logs shall be given out on a Friday to complete by the following Wednesday.
Useful websites: ….