Welcome to Year 4’s class page. Please explore this page to find out information about our class, our learning, our blog and learning log.
Teacher: Miss L.Carney Teaching Assistant: Mrs T. Gibson
Our theme for the term is ‘Egyptians’ and lots of our activities will be based on this theme.
- Science – Natural and manmade materials to investigate the best material for an Egyptian pyramid!
- English- We will be writing a report on Ancient Egypt and creating a persuasive leaflet based on visiting Egypt. This is in addition to daily shared and guided reading, handwriting and spelling practise.
- Geography – We will focus on locating continents and countries around the world, and comparing the features of Egypt to Wales.
- History – We will focus on the Ancient Egyptians and how they lived.
- Our computer work will include using our HWB and Office 365 accounts for blogging, emailing and creating databases.
- In DT we will be researching and making Egyptian Sweet Cookies!
- In Welsh pupils will practise describing themselves and others and will create a weather report.
- P.E. – This term our PE day is a Tuesday. PE is a vital part of the national curriculum and all pupils need to participate; your support is much appreciated to ensure kit is in school when needed. If your child is unable to take part, a note is required explaining the reason why.
Learning Log– your child will have Learning Log weekly. It will be given out on Friday and should be handed in on Wednesday the following week. It will consist of a learning log based on the previous week’s work. Please ensure Learning Log is in on time so that work can be marked and returned to your child in time. We would like your child to complete at least one Literacy (English) or Numeracy (Maths) activity as part of their learning log.
Within our weekly learning log there will also be a list of spelling words that children must learn. There will be a weekly spelling test every Wednesday.
Reading – Reading books are changed every Friday, ready for the weekend. Pupils should try to bring their books into school daily, as they may receive individual reading time. The books will be kept in lockers. Please try to read with your child for 10 minutes a day, and regularly record what has been read in your child’s Reading Record. If your child is reading a longer book, this still needs to be brought in every Friday for the Reading Record to be checked and updated.
PPA – Every week all teachers are entitled to 1/2 day out of class for preparation, planning and assessment. During this time pupils will receive 1 hour of RE with Mrs Gibson and 1 hour of drama with Mrs. Wheel (Wednesday) or 1 hour of musical composition with Mr Thomas (Tuesday and Thursday). Attached to the local authority are experienced music & drama teachers who will be coming in to teach the junior classes.
Many Thanks, Miss L Carney & Mrs T Gibson