Welcome to Year 3’s class page. Please explore this page to find out .
Teacher: Miss S. Mogford . Teaching Assistants: Mrs L Thomas and Ms R Madden
PE: Please make sure that you have appropriate kit for the PE days. Our PE day is on a Monday. For our PE sessions can pupils please bring trainers as these sessions may take place outside.
Our topic this term is:
- Science – Material properties and the plants and animals found in two contrasting environments.
- English- Our focus this term will continue to use the film ‘Epic’ as part of our descriptive writing focus. We will also be writing a report, an explanation text and writing poetry based on the outdoors. This is in addition to ongoing: handwriting, spelling, guided reading, shared reading and shared writing.
- Geography – We will continue our study based on the effects of global warming on our planet and wildlife, linking to the ‘Blue Planet’ series.
- In art we will be linking our ‘Blue Planet’ water focus with a study of Monet’s ‘Water Lilies’ work.
- Our computer work will include using our HWB and Office 365 accounts to create spreadsheets. We will also be using coding equipment to create our own games.
- In DT we will be continuing last term’s science focus based on sustainability, by participating in the Wind Turbine Challenge. We will also create moveable mini-beasts in the second half term!
- In Welsh pupils will create weather reports and describe characters in first and third person narrative. They will also read Welsh poetry and stories.
Reading – Reading books are changed every Friday, ready for the weekend. Pupils should try to bring their books into school daily, as they may receive individual reading time. The books will be kept in lockers. Please try to read with your child for 10 minutes a day, and regularly record what has been read in your child’s Reading Record. If your child is reading a longer book, this still needs to be brought in every Friday for the Reading Record to be checked and updated.
PPA – Every week all teachers are entitled to 1/2 day out of class for preparation, planning and assessment. This will be on a Tuesday afternoon for the first half term, and a Wednesday afternoon for the 2nd half term. During this time pupils will receive 1 hour of RE with Mrs Gibson and 1 hour of drama with Mrs. Wheel (Wednesday) and 1 hour of musical composition with Mr Thomas (Tuesday). Attached to the local authority are experienced music & drama teachers who will be coming in to teach the junior classes.
Tests – National Tests will take place Wednesday 2nd May – Wednesday 9th May. A test timetable will be included in the school newsletter. It is vital that your child attends school on their test days. Please let me know in advance if you know your child will be absent for school on their test days, as alternative arrangements can be made.
Trip – A school trip to Margam Park is currently being planned for this half term. Details are being finalised and will be sent home soon.
Learning Logs will be given out on Friday and are due back on a Wednesday. They will include a selection of topics linked to what we have been learning in class during the week and will include creative skills, thinking skills and research skills. Spelling is a compulsory part of the home work and the pupils will receive a test on a Wednesday. Please help your child to practise their spellings.