School News

Croeso nol/Welcome back , we hope you had a lovely summer break.

Here we are at the start of another brand new academic year, I hope you all enjoyed the summer break and feel refreshed. I know that the staff are all feeling recharged, ready for the term ahead.  I am delighted to welcome all our new staff, pupils and parents to our wonderful school.

Throughout the holidays we have had work done to improve the school environment. The Reception yard has had a complete refurbishment and a new outdoor play area has been created. This is conducive to our vision for the learning environment.  I have to say that the new yard area looks amazing and the children and staff are enjoying their new environment. The iZone had to be removed due to the need of an additional Junior class. The room is now a classroom and once again this is a lovely, warm environment ofr learning. The iZone has been moved to the room undreneath the Junior canopy. My thanks to the Local Authority and CRJ for the work and for being so helpful and understanding.

We currently have fifteen classes and we see the return of some of the staff from maternity and secondments.  Please make every effort to welcome them back into our Gnoll School.  Mrs Wheadon is still the acting Deputy Headteacher at Blaendulais Primary School, Seven Sisters.

Additional Learning Needs Coordinator roles have also changed. We now have a team of Coordinators rather than just Mrs Trollope.  Mrs S. Coleman is ALNCo for Foundation Phase, Mrs Fielding is ALNCo for Key Stage 2 and Mrs Trollope is ALNCo for our Rainbow Rooms.  My thanks to Mrs Trollope for her dedication, commitment and hard work over the past eight years as the sole ALNCo in the school.

As you may be aware, one of the priorities on the School Improvement Plan last year was Welsh and Welsh Cultures. This will continue to be a priority this year and as a result I have decided to name each class a river or mountain in Wales. The children like this idea as this will give them a link to Wales.

Nursery                          Miss Evans                        “Y Nant”,

Reception                      Mrs Coleman                    “Crug”

Reception/Year 1         Mrs Jones                         “Nedd”

Year 1                             Nrs Davies                         “Bryn”

Year 1/Year 2                Mrs Harcombe                “Waun Fach”

Year 2                             Mrs Gibbon                      “Cleddau””

Year 3                             Miss Jones                        ““Pen-y-Fan”

Year 3                             Miss Mogford                  “Taff”

Year 4                            Mr Thomas                      “Cadair-Idris”

Year 4/Year 5              Mrs Parfitt                         “Tywi”

Year 5                            Mrs Daniels                       “Tryfan”

Year 5/Year 6               Mrs Fielding                    “Yr Hafren”

Year 6                            Miss Blackman                “Yr Wyddfa”

Rainbow Room Infants    Miss Khakshour         “Enfys 1”

Rainbow Room Juniors    Mrs Trollope              “Enfys 2”

Dates for the diary:

To be added

NB dates will be added to this list as and when they are organised.

School Uniform:

It is wonderful to see the children return to school dressed smartly in their new school uniform. The badge and the uniform has certainly lifted the appearance of the school. My thanks to all parents for the support in this matter. The children have a sense of pride in the new logo and uniform.  If you feel that you have an interest in the new uniform for the school, then please express an interest with the office as I intend to create a parent group who can help shape the uniform for next year.

Please could I remind you that if you require new uniform, Sportec are the supplier that has our new school badge . They also have school book bags and water bottles. Please ensure that all uniform items are clearly labelled with your child’s name. For health and safety reasons, may I ask that pupils with long hair keep it tied back whilst in school and that on the days they have PE their pierced earrings are removed for that day unless they are able to remove them independently before the start of the lesson. Wearing jewellery to school is also discouraged for safety reasons and to avoid items getting lost / damaged. Bright hair dyes and extreme haircuts must also be avoided for school as they do not comply with the school’s policy.

Family Group Activities at Gnoll

Unfortunately due to the current COVID situation and the restrictions of visitors to the school, we will not be able to run Family activites.  .

Contact Details

School regularly sends important pieces of information via our Text2Parents service and on occasions we may need to contact you in an emergency. It is therefore vital we hold up-to- date contact details for you. Please inform the school office if you have any changes to telephone numbers.

Collection of Pupils

Children must be collected by a responsible adult (i.e. a person who has officially left school) and is on the pink form. If anyone different is collecting a child for whatever reason at the end of the day, the class teacher must be informed in the morning.